We already know that I am not the greatest at following instructions on recipes. In my married life I have come to learn that you have to be able to recognize that some recipes you really have to follow measurements and instructions to a ‘T’ or you will get a total mess, like a watery apple pie no one will touch (thank you Thanksgiving of 1999). Since cooking is already a chore I try to make life easier on myself and find recipes that I can easily change according to what I like and what I have on hand. Plus my taste buds are not the same as everyone elses. So I often find myself adding or subtracting ingredients after I made them according to instructions the first time.
Here is a great bulgur salad from Martha Stewart that I love in its original form.
- 5 1/4 ounces dried bulgur (1 cup)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (packed) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large bowl, pour 1 cup boiling water over the bulgur. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand until water is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Add cucumber, onion, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature. (To chill, cool, then refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 day.)
My husband tries to eat wheat free and so I cook accordingly to accommodate this request. I turned the above recipe into this Quinoa salad and added a few things I like. It is an incredibly healthy salad that is great for summer since you can eat it hot, cold, or room temp. Its also a great way to use up left over quinoa.
- 2-3 cups cooked Quinoa
- 1 cucumber (I like persian), roughly chopped (unless I’m feeding my sister then I skip this)
- 1 tomato, diced or several cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 red onion, diced OR 1 large shallot minced
- 1 handful of roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro or 50/50 mix what ever I have
- 1 big spoonful of minced garlic from my jar I keep in the fridge ALWAYS
- Juice from 1 fresh lemon or lime or both
- Feta Cheese maybe like 1/4 cup depending on your taste
- Avocado Diced
- Cook Quinoa according to package, I use water only for this recipe.
- Add all ingredients; toss to combine. Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature. (To chill, cool, then refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.)
Original recipe found here